Google Hangouts is one of Google services which is becoming very popular with online educators around the world and gives you the option to do a video conference with the added features of a webinar. You can make an ordinary video call or go live on YouTube!
It also has smart device apps so everyone can easily use it: Android – ios You can even make direct video calls from within your mailbox. If you decide to do a Hangout session on your laptop, don’t forget to install this plug-in first.
To cut the long story short, I am currently training teachers in Malaysia where they have an online course component moderated by a trainer based in Spain. Andy, the e-moderator and I decided to do a Hangout session with my teachers to boost their confidence towards the end of the course and encourage them to show up more often on the online course!!
I have taken screenshots of the steps we took to start the hangout and you can see the steps here:
The advantages of Google Hangouts:
- Live YouTube stream (public or private)
- Q&A app which integrates with the video for easy further reference
- Control Panel to even ‘eject’ participants if they misbehave or share copyright-ed material
- Chat box
- Link Share box with the audience
- Easy integration with Google Drive
- Embed link to share the video on your own website
- Photo capture app
- YouTube editor to edit the video later and add your logo or even an introduction
- Only 10 camera sharing participants
- Only 8 hours of recording (isn’t it enough, though?!)
What’s your favourite online meeting app?